Sunday, September 29, 2013

Song Sharing Sunday #242 - Burn ~ Ellie Goulding

I cannot remember when was the last time I cried because I was in too much pain.
Was it during the pre-delivery of my younger one, when the contraction started to get really severe?
Was that the last?
Now I can tell you that the last time I cried because the physical pain was too much for me to hold back my tears was yesterday.

My elder son was still not feeling very well and he asked for a soupy lunch.
So I decided to boil a small pot of carrot-corn soup for him to go with his noodles.
After I had transferred the soup over to his bowl, I realised that it was so full, it was almost spilling over.
Thus I put a plate below the bowl so that even if the soup spilled over, it would flow over the edge of the bowl and onto the plate.

Feeling very safe about my plan, I put BOTH of my hands on the left and right side of the plate, with my thumbs on top of the plate and the other fingers on the side of the plate, to bring the bowl of hot noodle soup out to the dining table.

Never did I expect that the soup actually SPLASHED out of the top of the bowl and onto my left hand.
My natural reflex was to tilt the bowl towards the right because of the SHARP PAIN I was feeling on my left fingers.
Wrong Move!
With the sudden tilting action, my right hand was washed with the hot liquid too.

I forced myself to hang on to the plate and not drop it on the floor, or else my elder one will have to wait again for his lunch to be re-cooked.

With the severe BURNING SENSATION that was on my 10 fingers, I forced myself to walk back a few steps and put the bowl of noodle soup down on my kitchen cabinet top.

Reached for the tap.
Turned it on full blast.

With elbows resting on the edge of my sink, I placed my red as lobster hands under the running tap water....

The tap water flowed like waterfall....
...and so did my tears....


It was very VERY Painful.....

Some of my knuckles started to swell...
...and I could not bend them...

My boys were with me in the kitchen and witnessed everything.
Hubby heard the commotion and rushed in; saw the splashes of soup on the kitchen floor and me in my pathetic position infront of the sink, he knew what happened at once.

My heart was pounding fast...
My mind was racing in circles...
I did not know what to do next...
I needed direction.


Hubby: "Go apply toothpaste."
I obeyed.
My whole hand, completely covered with what's supposed to be on my toothbrush......
I started to sob harder as I applied it over my hands, my hands were so SO SORE...a small brush across the skin hurts.

Then Hubby brought me a big bowl of water filled with ice.
"Soak your hands to numb the pain."
I did as I was told once again.

It was FREEZING COLD!!!

I do not know if it was wiser to use the ice water method or not because though the burning sensation was numbed, my hands were shaking like crazy because it was so terribly cold!!!
The chill was moving up to my wrist.
I kept pulling my hands out after soaking them for 10 seconds or so.
Once the cold feeling is gone, the burning feeling came back and my red hands will be submerged again.
I kept doing that repeatedly for countless times....until I could see that the swelling and the redness were showing improvement.

The most painful part was my knuckles, I could not bend them.
The fingers which I had rings on, were also feeling the strain, but I could not remove my rings because of the swollen knuckles....*cry*

I applied cream on every part of my hands and I dare not touch anything because the skin was so sensitive.
As time passes, my 4 rings were removed from my fingers at different times because the swelling of different fingers subsided at different speed.

This morning, my hands felt so much better.
Now, the only parts that still feel some 'leftover' sore are my left middle finger, my left thumb around thumbnail area, my right thumb, my right index finger, my right middle finger and my right ring finger.
Till now, my rings have not returned to their homes...maybe tomorrow...

The word "Burn" came to my mind at that point of time when I scalded my hands and thus the 'reason' behind today's song.....

Song Sharing Sharing Badge



Every Song reminds me of a person, an event, a place, a smell, a taste....a secret, do you have a song to share today?

Burn
~ Ellie Goulding


 


Join in the fun, leave a comment with your Song Sharing Sunday post's URL and I'll hop over for a music treat....





No comments: