Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Zafferano - Restaurant at Level 43

I would make an effort to try new things every year for my birthday celebration.
A little pact I had with myself.
*wink*

Each year, having birthday dinners with my Sis, Allan and my boys, and my closest clique in Secondary School has become a ritual.
However, this year is slightly different...

My sister no longer stays with me after her marriage last December, so I have an EXTRA birthday celebration from now on. Hooray! *laugh*

Instead of 2 birthday dinners, I will now have 3!
*clap clap clap*

To make this first birthday dinner with her and my BIL memorable, I searched deep and hard for THE 'special' restaurant and I found Zafferano, an Italian restaurant located at the 43rd storey of Ocean Financial Centre. I thought it would be awesome to dine at a place where I could have a bird's eye view of the hottest spot in Singapore : the Marina Bay Sands.

Well, that was what I thought....

I made the reservation online.
Set it on Tuesday, 18th September at 7pm.
Called to confirm it and was already put off by that first call.

The staff on the other line told me that my kids were not allowed to dine there on weekdays. Children below 12 were not allowed.
I corrected her because Zafferano's Website stated that the 'forbidden age' was below 7 years old.
After 'arguing' for some time, she said she would go verify and call me back later.
 She did call back and said that my kids would be allowed in.




Yesterday, hubby and I looked at Zafferano's dinner menu and started to worry: "What will the kids eat?"
Well, its Italian restaurant right?
I was expecting to see Pizza, ANY KIND OF PIZZA, to be on the menu.
My kids love to eat pizzas.
But I was wrong.
Not only were there no pizza, other than the 'Sweet' Category, we could find NOTHING for the kids.

I was contemplating, should I cancel my reservation?

In the end, I decided to stick to it.
Picked up the phone and made my second call to Zafferano,
just to check if they would have a kids menu, since they WELCOME kids to dine in during weekends.
Nope, no kids menu.

"Should I cancel the reservation?" I asked myself again.

For so many years, my birthday dinners have been putting my children before myself, I thought, its time I put myself before them for MY birthday celebrations. Now that they are old enough, its time I enter a classy restaurant and eat my heart out.

GREEN LIGHT lit up
I should just go ahead with my plan.
Worst case scenario would be if they do not like what I order for them, I would bring them to McDonalds after that.

Seriously, first impression was good when we went today.
After the food was ordered, the waiter came and gave us these (photo below), saying that it was complementary from the restaurant.


Assorted bread with Beetroot Jelly


The kids were so excited to see the full F1 race course, the laser beams from Marina Bay Sands, the Singapore Flyer, etc.










Look at those smiles on their faces! 
Love it!
I guessed even if they go hungry, this trip would still be worth it.

It was everyone's 'FIRST TIME' in Zafferano and so each of us get a taste of each other's food by sampling a little here and there. 
What taste good?

In my opinion, none of the dishes that I tried would make me go back.
Firstly, the portion was too little to fill our stomach.
 I was still hungry after that and yes, we did go McDonalds because the Risotto, which I ordered for the kids, had some spice or pepper in it. 
It was too spicy for my boys' taste buds.
They ended up eating more from our plates and the bread selection.

Nonetheless, some were more to my liking than others. 
And they are in this order, starting with the most satisfactory :


BIL's Filletto

Hubby's Guancia

Sister's Capesante

Sister's Ravioli

Kids' Risotto Aragosta


My elder son's Minestrone
My Maiala

Did you notice that I had the worst luck in choosing food?
Ya, mine tasted really weird. Even hubby thinks so too.
I think next time, I should just let my BIL order for me!
Yes BIL?
*wink*

I must have caused his heart to skip a beat if he read that sentence.
*laugh*






Thank you Sis and BIL for giving me the treat even though none of us was TRULY satisfied with our experience are Zafferano.




No comments: